2007-05-02

What's wrong with today's Kids  


Today I thought I would vent a little.
There is one thing I cannot stand and that is rudeness. I see it all the time in kids. Do parents think that manners and respect are not important to teach these days or what!!??

I went to the school the other day for open house and was so aggravated at the kids by the end of the evening that I had a long talk with my kids about manners and respect. These kids have dirty mouths and just run into you or in front of you without any care whatsoever. There are no yes maams, no sirs, or any kind of mannerism. The bad part of all of this is that the parents are to blame.

My kids say yes maam, please, no thankyou, thankyou very much, excuse me, etc. They know when they can act silly and when to behave. They understand that (most)adults deserve respect and appropriately treat them with respect.
I don't know if it's because both parents work, or if they are just lazy, or maybe parents themselves don't have any manners or respect for anyone else.......

It is the parents responsibility to teach their kids how to act and speak to adults or anyone for that matter. Kids need to learn manners, respect, and morals. Maybe that's why kids are the way they are today..'cause they have no-one to teach them these basic but essential life skills.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



4 Neighs & Snorts: to “ What's wrong with today's Kids

  • Anonymous
    May 2, 2007 at 4:33 PM  

    I believe you're right, but I don't think that every teen or kid is disrespectful. I know myself and my friends are very careful about being polite, because it is important. The problem is there are other major life skills kids are missing out on today; my mantra is focus, drive and determination and no one has that anymore. Personally, people need respect in general all the time for everyone and everything. Parents are not lazy, but they beleive that through allowing their kids to "learn" on their own, they'll learn respect for themselves and others. What you said, and the reason I'm commenting is I believe your right on this, it is the parents. Kids are still kids, and they need to be directed and taught how to do everything, from eating right to behaving in public.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    May 2, 2007 at 7:00 PM  

    I really do appreciate your comment.
    We've always lived out in the country and the schools have been small..everyone knows eachother and are able to keep the kids in tune better....when you're in a bigger town or school, most adults aren't allowed to "remind" kids these days..if they do, they risk the chance of getting in trouble with parents, etc.
    I think that's another issue on its own.
    Once again, your comments are always welcomed.

  • Not Active
    May 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM  

    I can't agree with you more! I live in a big town (30 minutes from downtown St. Louis) and I have always instilled specific respectful behaviors in both of my boys. I just don't see it in other kids they go to school with. One of the best compliments I ever received from a stanger was how well behaved my children are wherever they are, and whoever they are with. There are not enough parents with these same goals in mind. Kudos to you for blogging about a touchy subject!

  • J. Michael Held
    May 4, 2007 at 9:31 PM  

    I have ranted about the same topic for years. Kids today say things that would have earned me a right quick slap in the face. Of course, I knew what the result would be of misbehavior, so it never crossed my mind to do it. I don't care what anybody says about corporal punishment. If the ground rules are laid down FROM THE BEGINNING, there is almost no need for it later. Fear of punishment is a powerful motivator and a means for teaching respect.