2007-06-11

YAHOO ANSWERS = SUSPENSION!  



I love to ask and answer questions at yahoo answers...it really came in hand when I was pregnant.


Yesterday, I answered all kinds of questions. This morning I wake up to about 15 emails saying all my answers are violating the rules. Then about 2 hours later, I get an email saying I am suspended. WHAT THE HECK??? I go and read the rules but was unable to pinpoint my violations. I replied asking what specifically I did wrong and what I needed to do to be reinstated. Well, about an hour ago, I received an email saying your account is not eligible for reinstatement....AND THAT'S IT! They didn't address my other questions and concerns..it was like talking to a robot.

I believe this creates a serious credibility issue for Yahoo.

I really believe Yahoo should have some sort of system to warn participants when they are approaching an account suspension, as a lot of us really need our yahoo mail accounts. To take an account without any notice seems very unfair to me. In my opinion it would be better just to block the use of answers and not take the entire account. As far as I have been able to tell it does seem that some protests go unanswered. This too is unfair. I don't believe that an account should be deleted due to the number of violations which seems to be the case now, because the violations can be very minor. A new user can easily rack up violations because it takes time to learn the rules and how to word things perfectly. In fact it is almost impossible to do that all the time even with a lot of experience. It is true that there are those who will report the most minor thing if they disagree. And there is where people can really get caught off guard. It isn't worth losing one's email account over, so I don't blame people for leaving. Surely it is not the purpose of yahoo answers to eliminate people over minor violations. Can't something be done about this?

There are some weirdos on Yahoo, everyone knows who they are, yet they are NEVER deleted. These are predators, yet YAHOO does nothing about them and turn around a delete someones account for no apparent reason.

YAHOO, you are losing more than credibility, people are going to be moving on, and this neat little game you created is going to lose. So why will you not do something about it, why not fix what is wrong, apply standards uniformly, use a computer to decide, not people with biases and for one time, delete the predators.








If you like this post, then Buy Me a Drink

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 Neighs & Snorts: to “ YAHOO ANSWERS = SUSPENSION!

  • Tay
    June 11, 2007 at 2:52 PM  

    I agree with you completely! Yahoo suspends the people who do nothing wrong, and the people who are actually real sickos get to stay.

    Someone reported me as being under 13 years of age so I got suspended. This is what the email I received said. It makes no sense... Why would someone report that lie anyway? They must have something against me. And Yahoo doesn't care.

  • CyberCelt
    June 11, 2007 at 4:51 PM  

    Just wanted to touch base with you on the Blogging Chicks. I cannot answer about Michele and how long it will take to add you.

    You have the blogroll posted, so that is good. If you want to participate in the next carnival send in your URL to your post and just a side note to Michelle about not being on the blogroll.

    We usually have a BC Carnival on Sunday. You check the metablog (bloggingchicks.blogspot.com) to see if there is a theme (like vacation, why I love blogging, children, teaching, favorite movie, etc.). You write your post on your blog and send the URL to the email address on the metablog. When Sunday comes, she posts the links to the posts in the carnival and people come and visit your blog to read your post.

    Good luck to you.

    CyberCelt

  • Anonymous
    June 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM  

    OMG, I'd so pissed off to have my account suspended ! What exactly was suspended ? Just your QA account, or the whole email account ? I mean, I'd be in troubles if that happened to me, Yahoo is my main email for work etc.

    I don't see you posting anything offensive on Yahoo, that's so stupid ! It's basically punishing people for helping on the web.

    I tried Yahoo QA for a day and got really sick of it because of all the racist comments on it.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    June 12, 2007 at 6:47 AM  

    tay~~ No, Yahoo doesn't care. I found out yesterday that suspending people for no reason is a regular thing with them.

    Cyber~~ Thank you for all the info.

    Zhu~~ It was only the yahoo answers account but I was at their forum yesterday and it looks like they like to suspend email accounts too. I thought I had great answers. I wish I new exactly what I did wrong, but they don't tell you jack!!

  • Proletariatof1
    June 13, 2007 at 8:23 AM  

    i was suspended by google adsense in a similar fashion. NO explanation and pretty much no hope of reinstatement. After reading this post and the comments and doing a little searching I have found that yahoo does things like this on a regular basis.

    Cman's Money Page - Profitable Productive Blogging