2007-09-07

That Special Moment  

That special moment--A father sharing a beer with his son. WTH! Mad would be an understatement for the feelings rushing through my body when my husband told me he offered, our son, a drink of his beer. First of all, why would I feel any different? Did he want me to say, "Hey that's great!" or what? Maybe this is normal? You tell me. Is it normal for a father to share a beer with his son? And if so, what is the "normal" age this moment is shared?

So, I might have overreacted a bit when he told me this but I just was shocked. He said he shared a beer one time with his Dad about that age. (Which is 14 by the way!) We kinda ended up in an argument over this but a mother doesn't want to hear about her 14 year old son drinking beer with his dad. Yes, I know it was only 1 beer but still.

I hope I have some MALE readers 'cause I really would like to know what other fathers do with their sons or if you shared a beer with your Dad.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



8 Neighs & Snorts: to “ That Special Moment

  • Jennie
    September 7, 2007 at 5:39 AM  

    wow! ya... i would be fuming!!!

  • Unknown
    September 7, 2007 at 8:54 AM  

    Well, if his dad shared a beer with him at that age and it was a good experience for him back then, he bonded with his own dad and he just wants to share that bond with HIS son.

    Mothers and teen daughters bond through shopping for tampons, fathers and teen sons bond over that first beer. I don't think it's all that unusual.

    But also think about this, better his first beer be with his father than a bunch of friends at a time and place you don't know about.

    But then again, between me and my husband, we have three girls...what do I know. LOL!

  • Anonymous
    September 7, 2007 at 11:58 AM  

    I'm female, you understand, but I suspect that my brother had a similar experience. I've never asked him because drink was never forbidden and therefore no big deal.

    I was drinking alcohol in home from the age of about twelve. At that age it was just a tiny glass of wine or a beer/lemonade shandy (i.e. diluted) on special occasions such as Christmas. By fourteen I was drinking beer and wine at Sunday dinner. In fact, I remember at fifteen *deciding* to acquire a taste for bitter.

    In the UK, it's legal for 16 year olds to order alcohol with their meal, and thus at 16 I ordered my first drink.

    I do not think there is any harm in being introduced to alcohol by a responsible adult. However, whether it's legal or not in the USA I don't know. But I know one thing--I'd rather my dad introduced me to alcohol than my peers.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    September 7, 2007 at 2:44 PM  

    Yep, Jennie, I was!

    Leigh~~You make some very good points and maybe it isn't so unusual. I guess it just caught me off guard!!

    Linda~~the thought that isn't normal at the age is really very sad to me. I've heard that before though..alchol being part of everyone's lifestyle.

  • Anonymous
    September 8, 2007 at 2:18 AM  

    I came here to make a comment, but eternal flux (leigh??) has already succinctly expressed my own opinion - teenagers WILL drink, and it is far better that they learn to limit themselves in a safe environment, with trusted adults, rather than chug down litres with their friends, who are as likely to be just as inexperienced as your son.

    If your husband had taken your son on a bender, got him drunk, and dragged him to a strip bar, I'd completely understand... But one or two beers (especially with the strength most USA beers seem to be ;) ) is not a cause for concern...

    All of that said, I am not yet a father myself, so perhaps it is easy for me to simply offer advice without having been through it myself.

    PS Thanks for the links to my Kazakh articles :)

  • Anonymous
    September 8, 2007 at 8:10 AM  

    I would feel the same way you do if I was in your situation.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    September 8, 2007 at 6:35 PM  

    Hey Chris..Yep, Leigh made some real good points..you too. I've had time to think about it and, although I don't approve, I'm okay with it now.

    Hopefully, I don't find out about any other beer binges...lol.

    And Charla, I think most mothers would feel the same as I did.

  • Anonymous
    September 23, 2007 at 6:02 PM  

    I believe it is quite common. It is part of the male bonding ritual if they cannot get out to the country to kill something and drink beer...

    Jeff Foxworthy (Blue Color Comedy) said that all men think about is: "I want a beer and I hope to see something naked."