2007-10-26

Frances Elizabeth  

I will be writing only 1 post today and it will be to remember my grandma. She would have been 70 years old today. I put a slide show together of a few of my favorite photos of her. They are when she was young and all in black & white except for 1. The slide show will be under the music of the Statler Brothers, her most favorite group. This is not meant to be sad, it is to remember the good times:)
Speaking of....

Me and her used to take these drives from Sweetwater to Stanton to have Thanksgiving with her parents. At the time, it was so embarrassing, but she would honk at the cars going by and wave like she knew them. She was just being silly. What's funny, is I do the same thing with my kids today--just to embarrass them:) She was always doing something silly like that and I think that's were my goofiness came from.

She also made a killer Chocolate Sheet Cake! The recipe is below. I wasn't going to share it but I think she would be proud. Enjoy the recipe and I do hope you view the show. I love old pictures and I miss her:)

CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE

Cake Ingredients

  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1 c. water
  • 4 TBLS cocoa
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Icing Ingredients

  • 1 stick butter
  • 4 TBLS cocoa
  • 6 TBLS milk
  • 1 box confectioners sugar

Melt butter, shortening, water, and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Mix sugar & flour in bowl. Add the first mixture you boiled to dry ingredients. Then add buttermilk, eggs, soda, cinnamon, vanilla. Mix well. Bake for 22-25 minutes in a 350' oven.

Icing--During the last 5 minutes of baking, melt butter, cocoa, and milk. Bring to a boil. Add confectioners sugar making sure to get rid of all the lumps. Pour over hot cake......hmmmmmm, good!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 Neighs & Snorts: to “ Frances Elizabeth

  • Anonymous
    October 29, 2007 at 10:19 PM  

    Lori, that was soooo sweet! What a wonderful way to honor your grandma. She would be proud...very proud!
    I don't have any of my grandparents or parents left. Pictures of them, recipes, favorite songs, etc., are very precious to me, too!