2007-08-22

Are You Weak or Are You Strong  

I often wonder why people choose to do drugs. I'm assuming they are weak--That they have no self-esteem and low self-confidence. Am I wrong to assume this? I grew up seeing drug users just like everyone else but had the unfortunate experience to live with a druggie.



I remember the first time I was offered pot. I'm 14 and driving with some of my best friends down the "drag". Diane pulled out some ready-to-smoke pot and asked if I wanted a hit. My first reaction was shocked because I had no idea that they did that sort of thing and my second reaction was NO. Why did I say no? I could have easily said "sure, I'll try it"........


There was a time when I didn't live with my mom and lived with my dad. (who has spent most of his life in jail and is better off there) I remember coming home from school one day, walking into the kitchen, and seeing my dad laying there. He had slobber coming from his mouth, a band around his arm, and a needle hanging from a vein. It was heroin. He had just "shot up" and was in la-la land. When you see your dad or anyone in that kind of situation, you have 2 choices. You can be like that or not. I chose not. I knew instantly that I didn't want any part of that in my life. But WHY was this so clear to me, why wasn't I curious about it. There was heroin and needles everywhere, why didn't I try it?....


I have always been independent and strong willed. I never did what everyone else was doing or tried to be something I wasn't. I was me and if people didn't like who I was, I didn't care. I was a leader, not a follower.


I didn't do drugs because I didn't want to and it's that plain and simple. I thought it was stupid and it just made everyone else look stupid. I could never understand why other people didn't think like me, why they felt the need to TRY this or that. I've never sat down and asked my dad how he started using drugs and why. To me, it's an easy choice. Just say NO!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



10 Neighs & Snorts: to “ Are You Weak or Are You Strong

  • Anonymous
    August 22, 2007 at 1:30 AM  

    Wow...sounds so familiar, except with my dad it was alcohol. I did my fair share of partying in high school, and after, but I, too am a rebel, or a leader. I knew when it was time to stop that sort of lifestyle, and did. I now rarely have a drink, if ever...even if someone else is. I just don't need it to have fun. I also saw what it did to my dad-killed him a month ago-and I will NEVER let something rule my life like that. In talking to an interventionist before our last ditch effort to save my dad, I know it's a physical thing, but I still think that if you're mentally strong, you can win out. Good for you, for overcoming that kind of an example in your life. Feels good, doesn't it?

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 22, 2007 at 12:29 PM  

    Addition~~~Thanks for the info, however, I don't need it. This post was a reference to my past and my dad who is in jail for the rest of his life. Maybe it will be useful to someone else.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 22, 2007 at 12:31 PM  

    Baseballmom~~I just never wanted to do any of that stuff. I'm sorry about your dad. You have to move on and make the best decisions you can so you don't end up in that situation. I am mentally strong...I wish more people were strong like that. Thanks for visiting.

  • Anonymous
    August 22, 2007 at 3:15 PM  

    Its sad how the teenagers can easily get attracted to drugs. There are the most vulnerable.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 22, 2007 at 5:56 PM  

    Yes it is John. I don't understand why it's so hard for kids to say no. It was so easy for me. I just hope my kids follow in my footsteps.

  • Anonymous
    August 22, 2007 at 9:13 PM  

    I can see why people are attracted to drug, alcohol etc. Some are weaker than other, some haven't learned to say no.

    I did smoke pot and I don't have a problem with it. I don't think it's good or smart but I wasn't influenced. I wanted to try, I did. Didn't make me any smarter though and it didn't change my life !

    I have a problem with the legal drug actually, alcohol. It's so common where I'm from... Kids start drinking when they're 6-7 with their parents, get drunk when they're 12 and have all kind of trouble if they don't stop.

    I guess I'd feel the same about drug if I had seen the damages it causes around me.

  • THE ANiTOKiD
    August 22, 2007 at 10:00 PM  

    I admire you for your courage to be different, my friend. It must have been difficult growing up seeing such things. I salute you!

    And oh, thanks for the votes, my friend. I really appreciate it. Much thanks! Maraming salamat po!

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM  

    Zhu~~I am so sorry to see that drinking is so common where you're from. That is sooo sad to me. I mean, I know kids are gonna drink and sneak drinks but for it to go as far as what you are saying..well, it's just awful.

    And you...well, I hope that you have some control over it and hopefully don't let it take over your life in any way.

  • Anonymous
    August 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM  

    Good for you! It seems so hard for some people to "just say no" for whatever reason in their life. I never had a desire to do drugs or alcohol. It didn't appeal to me to not be in 100% control of what I was doing. I never felt the need to do them when I was a teenager, and my two best friends felt the same way.
    As a first grade school teacher, we would always have a "just say no to drugs and alcohol" unit every school year. Unfortunately, some of the parents of the kids I taught were drug dealers or alcoholics. I saw what it did to the lives of their kids, and my heart ached for those kids.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 26, 2007 at 4:55 PM  

    That really is sad Charla, when parents like that are examples to those children. It's such a sad thing.