2007-08-27

The Start of a Crappy Day  

I started my daily routine this morning with the addition of getting the kids up for their first day back to school. I showered, ate, played with the little man for awhile and got ready to head to the post office. Good so far right? I am 6 miles from the post office when all of the sudden the truck turns off. "You've got to be freakin' kidding me?!" Yep, I ran out of gas. Luckily, I was able to coast for about 2 miles before coming to a complete stop. WooHoo..that only left me with 4 miles to walk with a 25lb baby. Now I normally have my cell phone but it was in the car and the kids took the car today...so I had no phone, no gas can, and no shoes on. Yeah we country folk go around here barefoot and all! I get Truett out of the car seat, lock up the truck, and start my journey to the gas station (which is connected to the post office). It's a good thing my feet are tough 'cause that would have made other girls cry trying to walk on the asphalt and the weeds. There were a couple of cars who passed me and honked. I don't know what they got out of honking at a mom walking with her baby out in the middle of nowhere knowing damn well they saw my truck with the hazzards on about 50 yards back. Did they think it was funny or what? A-holes! Then a van put their brakes on and took the exit that goes to the store. I thought, for one brief second, that they might give me a ride...they didn't:(

I'm almost to the store when what do I see...that same van leaving the from the gas pumps. I'm so glad they were kind of enough to help....whatever.

I'm so excited to see what the rest of today brings!

P.S. Please always carry your cell phone. You never know when you're going to run out of gas even if the needle is no where near the empty mark;)

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 Neighs & Snorts: to “ The Start of a Crappy Day

  • Anonymous
    August 27, 2007 at 12:16 PM  

    Hello. Visiting from Laurie's blog for Click & Comment Monday.

    I ran out of gas one night out in the middle of nowhere. My son was about 8 months old. I was so scared I was going to be killed by a car on the feeder road because I did not have a flashlight or anything. It was probably 5 miles to the nearest sign of life, let alone a gas station.

    A man pulled over and helped me out. I thanked him. He said, "it is what I would hope someone would do if my wife or sister were in trouble."

    I cannot believe people drove by a mom and a baby. Next time, put the hood up and just wait. Either a cop or a good Samaritan will help you.

    Keep your gas tank filled. If it drops below 1/2 tank, fill it up. In case of emergency, you will be glad you did.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 27, 2007 at 12:21 PM  

    Hi there Cybercelt. I don't about click & comment Monday but am gonna check that out!

    At night! That would be scary. I'm so glad someone picked nice picked you up.

    Apparently, around here they don't care about others. And lessons learned my dear...lessons learned.

  • Unknown
    August 27, 2007 at 1:11 PM  

    My husband would tell you not to use your hazzards unless you have to leave your car in the way of traffic. All you will do is run down your battery. But I agree with Cybercelt, next time put your hood up but I would add: ask anyone who stops to call the police. You can't trust anyone these days.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM  

    Leigh~~I didn't even think about the battery....lol. Wouldn't that have made for even a crappier day!

    Trust is definately an issue, especially when you live by Mexico!!!

  • Anonymous
    August 28, 2007 at 8:53 PM  

    I'm so thankful you were safe, although I'm sure your feet weren't feeling too good. Years ago I was taking a short cut through the country to get to my parent's house and I ran out of gas. All I could see were two houses. Our daughter was just a baby then. So I carried her and walked to this house and asked if I could use their phone to call my parents. This nice grandfatherly-type man said he would drive me to my parent's house which was probably 5-10 miles away. He was so sweet, and I remember he lectured me in a gentle way about how I must always check the gas level especially since I had a baby with me. He said no telling who might stop to help and do us harm. I'll never forget that man. He made an impression on me and I always checked the gas level after that. Although running out of gas was an unpleasant situation, God was definitely watching over us, keeping us safe!