2007-08-07

To Abort or Not To Abort~~That is the Question  

WOW!! I received an email from someone in need of advice on the subject of abortion. Because this is such a controversial issue, I will not expose this person. AND, I will not tolerate hateful comments. You are more than welcome to state your opinion and to offer suggestions or advice but if there are any really hateful comments that only give back negativity, then I will delete your comment. With that said, here is what she wrote:

I am 17yrs old and I just found out that I'm pregnant. I have been with the guy for 6mths. He will do whatever I want but I want to got to college. We have given it a lot of thought, but still do not know what to do. I have 4 younger brothers and sisters and know how hard it is to have kids. I am leaning more towards the abortion, but don't feel like I know enough about it. Can you please HELP?


First, let me state where I stand on this issue. I truly believe that abortion should only be done if a rape occurred or severe irreversible mental or physical illness that would totally destroy a child's quality of life has been established----if the mother has been well informed and there is NO possibility that the child could be born WITHOUT a severe mental or physical problem... then I feel abortion should be the right thing..... The severely handicap can have a relatively GOOD life because some are strong and independent, but there are others far worse with NO quality of life.


I would also rather NOT see children grow up in poverty, be uneducated, or in abusive families. I do think that if the child will grow up in an environment in which it will not be wanted, loved or cared for the way a woman who wants a child could mother it then it is understandable to consider abortion as an option. I don't think abortion should be used as a birth control, meaning that instead of protecting herself, a woman goes and gets more than one abortion. In that case, the woman has other issues. Yes, this is a loss of life, but what is life with out the basic necessities.


WITH ALL THAT SAID, here is some info that I hope helps.


If you do not reach a decision within a certain amount of time, it will be made for you. Clinically, abortion is a safe and simple procedure when carried out legally by licensed and specially trained doctors and some nurse practitioners with sterile and proper instruments. If you decide to have an abortion, it is best to do so within the first trimester (first three months) — this is when an abortion is safer. As far as how you will handle an abortion emotionally, some women feel relief, sadness, anger, upset, guilt, nothing at all, or all of the above. You may or may not experience unexpected emotions afterwards. If you choose to have an abortion, let a close friend or two, besides your boyfriend, know about it. Having people around who care and who can support you in your decision will help. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. You've got several choices to consider: you can terminate the pregnancy either surgically or medically (whichever is recommended as appropriate for you); or, you can carry the pregnancy to full-term, either keeping the baby or perhaps arranging for the baby to be adopted. Carefully think about which option will be best for you and your boyfriend. It may be a complicated decision to make, as family, religious, cultural, and future life concerns are so often influential. Speak with a health care provider or ask your student health service if you need more help making your decision. Another resource that can help you make a decision is Planned Parenthood because they offer a wide-range of women's health care and information: Planned Parenthood 1.800.230.PLAN (-7526)

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



5 Neighs & Snorts: to “ To Abort or Not To Abort~~That is the Question

  • Anonymous
    August 7, 2007 at 8:38 AM  

    Just a suggestion, most college and/or universities do have daycare for when the mother need to attend classes. I'm not sure if they have it at the area where she is located but I do hope she know it's not impossible to study and be a mother at the same time. All the best to her, she will always be on my mind.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 7, 2007 at 10:47 AM  

    Thank you for the suggestion. I hope she reads all the comments.

  • roundouts
    August 7, 2007 at 2:44 PM  

    You have similar thoughts on abortion as I do. Sometimes people are just not ready to have kids and you can't really say keep your legs closed to a 14 year old. Which in all reality, such young children are having sex and are faced with that decision. This also goes hand in hand with your previous post. Stupid people should not have kids. I would much rather see someone have an abortion or give the child up for adoption than see a young inocent kid die because of stupidity.
    That was a rant. hope I didn't get out of line.

  • Anonymous
    August 7, 2007 at 9:26 PM  

    I stand pretty where you stand. I believe abortion is a right - that said, it's not an easy choice and certainly not an happy one.

    However, let's be practical : a kid needs love, some stability, a family or loved ones around etc. Giving birth to a kid just because an abortion wasn't available (or allowed...) isn't fair for both the mother and the kid.

  • Anonymous
    August 18, 2007 at 3:06 PM  

    I feel for the 17 year old girl. What a heavy decision she has to make, and she alone has to make it for she is the one who will live with her decision for the rest of her life. I have a dear friend who had an abortion many, many years ago and she, to this day, regrets having done that. I think it would haunt her if not for the fact that she has turned it over completely to God.
    I believe in the right to life and that God is the creator of all life which begins at conception.
    In the Bible in Psalms 139, it tells how God created our inmost being and knit us together in our mother's womb, how His eyes saw our unformed bodies and how all our days were written in His book before one of them came to be. Wow, how awesome!!
    A young girl can go to a special home for young mothers who plan to give up their babies for adoption. These homes provide nurturing, counseling, and support for the girls. The baby is then placed in a wonderful home with parents who are desperately wanting a baby to love.