2007-08-11

Blog Depression & What YOU Need To Know  

What is blog depression? It's a mood disorder that can lead to loss of pleasure on the Internet, feelings of sadness, and passive aggressiveness moaning and a steady lengthening of intervals between posts. Most bloggers feel down and even find their own blog sickening to look at every now and then. It's just a natural reaction to self induced pressures of blogging. When all these feelings are severe or prolonged, a blogger can lose all sense and become angry at an undertaking that is completely voluntary.


The fact is, if you do not blog for your own pleasure, then you are destined to have blog depression. You need to ask yourself, "Why do I blog?". You absolutely HAVE to blog about what you love!


If you dread blogging what your next post is gonna be about and you are now relying on beer & snacks to get your through it, then you are in a deep blog hole. Just remember, no one cares about your blog as much as you do because they have their own so don't overwhelm yourself with the pressure to post.


What you need to do to get out of your blog depression:

Get a freakin' grip. A blog is open ended and, unless your trying super hard to sell something, it really has no specific purpose. Dang it, just relax a bit. If people like your blog they'll come back whether or not you missed one post.


Take a break. The world is not going to end because you stopped contributing for a day or so. Go eat some donuts or something.


Blog for yourself. If you're blogging about something you don't really even care about but are doing it because everyone else is doing it, then you are most likely gonna fail and fall into "blog depression". Blog about what you know and what you like...you can expand yourself later on when you're comfortable and happy with your blog for what it is.


If you're sick & tired of the whole dang thing, then change it. After all, it IS YOUR blog, right? Maybe you just aren't cut out for the whole thing. Sometimes you just gotta know when to fold em'.


Don't let it ruin your life and don't waste perfectly good URLs.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



9 Neighs & Snorts: to “ Blog Depression & What YOU Need To Know

  • Anonymous
    August 12, 2007 at 8:43 PM  

    I think we're all bound to have blog depression sometimes... The internet is a not-so-virtual world after all !

    It's good to step back sometimes for a day or two... or longer.

    Blogging for pleasure, yes, that's the key, Being consistent too.

    Lots of good advice here, I hope you'll recover soon !!! ;)

  • Anonymous
    August 15, 2007 at 3:31 PM  

    Ha! I love this... I'm not the type of person that spews every stinking thought in my head right out of my mouth...

    I blog when I feel like it and the blog police that say I "have to blog every day to be a REAL blogger" can kiss my grits...

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 15, 2007 at 4:38 PM  

    Good one Annabella:) I recently went through "blogging depression" for that exact reason..tryin to please everyone else. Well forget that. I'm doing what I want when I want!! Thanks for stopping by.

  • Anonymous
    August 15, 2007 at 7:08 PM  

    I take a day off every now and then for just this reason. Most days I'm excited about one or more posts that are bubbling to get out of me. When the excitement isn't there, the world is not going to come to an end. Trying to force it just turns blogging into a drudgery, and if it gets like that there's no point in doing it! A little mini-vacation refreshes me and gets me stoked for the next great story I want to share.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 15, 2007 at 7:20 PM  

    Skeet~~I definately think that if don't break and write even about what you don't give a dang about, that your blog will go down hill and you will lose readers and potential readers. I'm thinking about skipping the weekend. I would like to participate in the Sunday portrait. I don't know cause I hate pictures;)

  • Anonymous
    August 16, 2007 at 6:32 PM  

    I've got to say that I've never had it and if I ever do then I seriously will think it's time to stop blogging and move on. There are so many bigger problems in life to have to deal with than blog depression! :)

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 16, 2007 at 6:37 PM  

    Stephen~~I agree. Since I am still a bit of a newbie, I was trying to "be" something I wasn't with my blogs and have since taken time off and started fresh. I blog for me now:)

  • Anonymous
    August 19, 2007 at 8:32 AM  

    Good post.:)

    I've definitely been there. More than once. I love to write but sometimes I need to take a break. Rest my brain. But if I wait too long to blog, like a week or more, I start to feel guilty and I lose some readers, too. So I've been making sure not to go that long without writing. I've found that I can find something to write about before then anyway.

  • Lori aka A Cowboy's Wife
    August 19, 2007 at 9:03 AM  

    Diane~~I think we've all been there at one time or another. I believe your loyal readers will come back and stay true.

    The other day I didn't want to post anything so I just said I don't feel like blogging today. If I'm not in the mood, then I don't blog.

    Thanks for stopping by!